about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Revisiting A First World Problem

This is Steven Petrick posting.

As I noted before, I have been having one of those "first world problems." The remote system for my television has not been working, requiring me to get up and walk to the television to turn it on or off (or adjust the volume or etc.). Changing channels is not a problem, as that is all done on Tivo.

As I had noted, I am fairly certain that the problem is that someone nearby has a heating system that, in addition to generating heat, is transmitting an electronic signal on just the right frequency to jam my television's ability to receive signals from the remote. That it is the reception of the signal that is the problem as neither the television's normal remote, or the Tivo remote that has been programmed to also control the television will work with the television. (Neither can turn the television on or off, or adjust the volume).

For those who thought it was something else, the proof is in the weather.

It has been warm of late. Warm enough that heating systems are no being run (at least not constantly). The upshot is that my remotes work fine, and have been doing so for a while. The exception being a few early morning time periods when the night's chill is sufficient to cause the heating system to be started.

It is annoying that this is going on. But I am not starving. I live with a roof over my head, clothes to wear to protect me from the elements, access to clean water and health care. This does not even touch on the fact that I have a car and thus a huge range of territory available to me to roam (I am not confined to a few miles around my village). It is not going to kill me to get up and change the channel, and as the weather improves, I will be doing that less and less.

But it is a "first world problem," not something your typical third world citizen would have to deal with, and they have many other problems.