about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

RANDOM THOUGHTS #17

Steve Cole muses: Just thinking to himself.

1. I was trying to crack a pecan in my office. Steven Petrick heard the banging and came to check, found out what I was doing, and left. It now occurs to me that if I am ever trapped inside my desk drawer, he will ignore the banging and leave me trapped there. Maybe I should make it a point to keep my cell phone on my belt instead of taking it off for comfort and leaving it lying on my desk?

2. I wonder if it would not be better to have all of the US polls close at the same time, say 10pm Eastern? (With early voting, there really is no need to have them open "after work hours" any more, so even if Alaska and Hawaii closed in mid-afternoon, nobody would be denied a chance to vote.) Then "election night coverage" would be limited to a single hour with the totals (and control over Congress) given right away and the commentators spending the rest of the hour explaining it to whoever is still listening?

3. I wonder if anyone else has the same mental block I have about my age? I really have no idea how old I am. I can (and do) add it up (since I know my birth day) whenever asked, but it amazes people that I cannot just spit out my age on request without adding it up.

4. Almost unnoticed on election night, Oklahoma voted 70% in favor of a referendum to block state courts from using Islamic Sharia law in any case before them. Some 76% of Oklahomans voted to make English the state's official language, which gives you some idea of the support for that to be found nationwide.

5. If you want your girlfriend to wear sexy clothes, consider that nothing is sexier than a wedding gown.

6. If you haven't bought your girl flowers in a month or two, it's way past due. You can go by Sam's Club and pick up a fistful of very nice flowers for five bucks, which she will delight in arranging in a vase she already has. No more excuses.

7. Just because something CAN be done does not mean it SHOULD be done. (Maybe it's not a good idea to do it. Maybe something else is more important.)

8. Just because something SHOULD be done does not mean it CAN be done. (Maybe you don't have the time, money, or technology to make it happen?)

9. There are a lot of things on your personal budget (or the national budget) that some salesman (or politician) will try to convince you should be increased, but sooner or later you have to look at the total spending and the total income and make them match.

10. The free market will take care of most things, but when the free market fails, government has to step in. The problem is that 90% of the time, the failure of the free market is caused by the last time the government stepped in.