about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Thursday, November 05, 2009

More Comment's On Game Night

This is Steven Petrick posting.

A little more about Spacehulk.

SVC and I both are having a hard time trying to figure ways around being "butchered in column", which seems to be the only thing that happens. I can only see one real way to advance, and that is to put the gatling gun at the front of a column, followed by the psychic master (whatever he is actually called). Hopefully that would be enough firepower to take a "T" intersection.

The problem is . . . then what?

I may get around the "T", but then I am subject to attack from two directions, and still limited pretty much to just one man firing. With my firepower reduced that much, the ability of the Genestealers to charge into hand-to-hand combat is greatly enhanced. (Quite literally, if it was not for the crossfire I had set up on the hatch SVC was trying to get through, which towards the end included four bolters, the gatling, AND the Psychic guys brain storms (or whatever they are called) I could not have held that room. Again and again I had just barely enough firepower to stop SVC from breaking into the room. I can imagine the disaster that would befall the space Marines if I had only one man able to fire against a column of genestealers. Particularly if they can avoid long range fire by waiting for me to advance towards an intersection (meaning you should only try to advance to a corner, advancing towards the "T" intersection in the middle would have been suicide).

The best plan I can see for the Genestealers right now is to stack up "blips" on all three of the avenues of advance, and then hit all three at the same time. Late in the battle my central position only had two guns (technically the left flank only had two guns also, but it also had the heavy flamer) and two hand to and experts.

Perhaps a simultaneous rush down all three corridors, after stacking up blips outside my line of sight, would lead to victory for the genestealers? The column charge on one end of the line put a lot of pressure there (I seriously thought SVC was going to make it at the rate my weapons would jam), but the limited pressure on the middle and end ultimately allowed me to redeploy the Psychic guy to the right flank in time to "save the day". Seriously, I think if I had not moved him over there when I did, SVC might have broken in and it would have been "very bad".