about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

PRIME DIRECTIVE d20 MODERN RELEASED

Jean Sexton reports:

Today, ADB, Inc. is releasing Prime Directive d20 Modern, the first new RPG book from ADB, Inc. in years. This was the first book that I did as the new head of RPGs for the company, and President Stephen V. Cole assures me that this is the best RPG book the company has ever done. It has been a labor of love for a lot of underpaid and underappreciated people, and they deserve recognition.

Jonathan Thompson, who did the original conversion of GURPS PD into PD20, did lots of work in getting the d20M parts right. He never fussed when I asked for yet another chart. I was happy to help him correct many of the problems that were created in the original PD20 book when too many cooks tried to stir the soup.

Tony Thomas was always there when I hollered help! He made the sample characters truly reflect the d20M style.

Andy Palmer provided good input until Real Life forced him to step back.

Gary Plana, who did the original GURPS PD books, was there with details that I needed. Someday, maybe in Final Frontiers, we'll get in our "missing" planet classifications added. There just wasn't room for CLASS U in this book.

Loren Knight (who is writing PD Tholians) and John Sickels (who wrote PD Romulans and is now finishing PD Federation) helped with tempting insights. Loren was also in the background offering support and encouragement via email.

Mike Sparks has been a silent partner in this, at least to most of you. He's been a safety net (Jean, are you sure you meant p. 145, because when we renumbered it I think it moved to p. 143?), an adept reader of my mind (some of my notes to him were "interesting", but he had a very high success rate at translating "Jean-ese" into English), and a whiz at layout. He's worked late at night and on the weekends to get this project done. Mike began working at ADB, Inc., a few years ago as a warehouse helper, progressed to warehouse foreman, then to Customer Service Director. Leanna Cole secretly taught him how to do page layouts (because Stephen Cole, who did the previous layouts, simply did not have time).

Leanna Cole deserves lots of thanks for letting SVC spend so much time on this project. She hasn't even fussed about phone calls to their home when I had "HELP! NOW!" moments. She didn't complain Sunday night at 10pm when I called to ask SVC to drive back to the office and send me some files I needed. Likewise, Ramses and Isis have had to sacrifice "pat-time" and "brush-time" and "hunt-bunny-time" during the timeframe for editing this book.

SVC has done oodles. He's gotten those phone calls, driven back to the office in his pajamas, and has been forced to learn enough Urdu to understand what was written. He's pulled long days and nights, walked me through rough spots, spent most of Dragon*Con teaching me about the gaming/publishing business, and taught me a great deal about the business world (as contrasted with academia). He showed great confidence in me when he made me a company Vice President and put me in charge of RPGs. I look forward to doing more books (Federation, Tholians, and others) and translating the books we have for new systems (D6, HERO, Savage Worlds, Fudge, and others). I sometimes wonder if SVC is a little crazy when he thinks I can average "a book a month", but we'll see how much the volunteers and I can accomplish.