about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Friday, November 11, 2011

On Veterans Day 2011

Jean Sexton writes:

Veterans Day has been on my mind for a bit. I read a newspaper article about an archaeological dig at Gallipoli. It seemed odd to think about that sort of activity on a site that was relatively recent compared to archaeological sites one usually reads about. However, it reminded me of the World War I roots of Veterans Day.

It disturbs me that this day seems to be skipped over in the rush to get to Thanksgiving and Christmas. There is a cartoon circulating on the social networks that reminds us that if it were not for our veterans, we might have more difficulty celebrating these holidays. That is true in so many ways.

I am fortunate to work for a company that honors and respects the men and women who have given of their time and lives to serve this country and to keep her safe. I also count myself fortunate to have become friends with so many of those people who have such a high level of integrity and honor. They challenge me to live my life each day in such a way as to be worthy of their protection of us all.

Today I wish to pause and thank the veterans on behalf of Amarillo Design Bureau, Inc. and me. We appreciate you for what you have done and what you were willing to do. Thank you. In addition, we thank your families who have also given so much.

We challenge all of our readers to take the time to thank the people who kept and keep you and yours safe.