about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Module G3 Moving to Publication

This is Steven Petrick Posting.

Today was mostly spent trying to move files from Excel into Pagemaker. It is slow and tedious, partly because when I can, I try to get all of the ships of one class on one page (this is not always possible, there are limits on the number of pages a given empire can have). This has sometimes meant trashing all current effort on a given empire and starting over. As an example, I thought it might be nice to have the Neo-Tholians start at the top of a page, but the notes section at the end of the Tholian listings is just too long and forced some Neo-Tholians ships into some blank space on the previous page. The "Math" said the page layout would work, but the computer system determined (by its own arcane methods) that it would not.

In any case, a complete draft should be done by tomorrow, and after SVC and Mike Sparks look it over, note any final changes, it should be ready to start printing on Thursday. (I want to start printing sooner, rather than later, Murphy always likes to rear his head on the weekend when the repair men are not available, so try to start on Thursday so the repairmen can get their on Friday and you can meet your shipping schedule on Monday).

Once Module G3 starts printing, I will need to do a clean errata/change file on what was done, that will take a few days of my time. I will also then need to start getting ahead on Captain's Log and getting some proposed page counts to SVC on some other possible projects.

I need to get all the done before I have to drive the protable building down to Austin the first week in March (and somewhere in March I have a dentist appointment . . .), so do not think I am sitting in my chair just snoozing away. There is pretty much always something that has to be done.