about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Monday, August 20, 2007

Why I hate cars

Steve Cole reports: Lots of guys like to tinker with their cars, change their own oil (and spark plugs if they're ambitious). I don't. I want my car to start and to run and I'm ok with filling it up with gas, taking it over for an oil change, and having a mechanic check it whenever I start on a long trip. But I really do not want to "mess" with my car.

But I'm going to have to. The battery is old and dead, and the car won't even jump-start. (And yes, I can manage to jump start a car if I have to.) I can have it towed to the dealership, which will charge me for towing, charge me too much for a new battery, and charge me to put the battery in, or I can go buy a battery and spend 30 minutes with a socket set changing it out. I don't want to, but I will save a hundred bucks doing it, and I guess I can manage that. I'd have Petrick fix it, but he really doesn't know any more about cars than I do (probably less). Maybe Mike, the warehouse guy, can be convinced that fixing my car is part of his job?