about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Friday, May 25, 2012

Elle Magazine Interviews SVC

Ok, not really. Leanna saw some TV show about Elle magazine (which is about ladies’ fashions) and ran out to buy a copy. I flipped through it and noticed an interview with some dress designer, and thought that it would be a hoot to answer those questions.

Other than yourself, who are your favorite designers?
That’s a tough question, because I haven’t played very many games in the last 10 years. I have to say that I still respect the work Jim Dunnigan did decades ago. Of the modern designers, I would say that the Siadek brothers and their Battlestations game are a favorite, and that Ken Burnside’s 3d game system is truly elegant (even if 3d games are basically unplayable due to complexity).

If you could come back as a wargame (dress), what game would it be?
The Federation Commander equivalent of F&E, with plastic spaceship toys.

If you could come back as a military leader (model), who would it be?
Somebody really awful. Maybe Simon Bucker or Gideon Pillow. That way, I couldn’t do worse.

Favorite color?
Royal blue.

Favorite junk food?
Brownies. Chocolate. Cherry fried pies.

What are you most vain about?
I don’t know that I am vain. I certainly don’t care much about my appearance, my hair, or my weight.

What are you most shy about?
I cannot think of anything.

Who are your fantasy poker-night buddies?
General Heinz Guderian, Crazy Horse, General Robert E. Lee, and Genghis Khan. Lee always wins because he’s ariverboat gambler at heart.

Fantasy celebrity one-night stand?
Dianna Rigg.

Favorite place to play a game?
In a college dorm in Baltimore at Origins 1976.

Favorite game you did not design?
Panzerblitz.

Last book you read?
War for the Union, by Allan Nevins. It’s a very different civil war book. The battles are barely mentioned. The book is all about politics, economics, and social changes.

Pets?
I serve Isis and Ramses.

What's for breakfast?
Aunt Jemima microwave french toast. McDonald’s (biscuits and gravy, or bacon-egg-cheese biscuit). The country breakfast at the Bowling Alley.

At age 7, you wanted to be?
A soldier. Or maybe a fighter pilot.

What do you find easiest to forgive?
Betrayal. Being stabbed in the back.

What do you find impossible to forgive?
Being lied about.

Do you have any superstitions?
If I spill salt, I throw some over my shoulder.

Favorite place to shop?
I’m a guy. I don’t shop much. Maybe an Army Navy store.

Whose wallet would you like to steal?
Nobody’s. I don’t steal.

Whose diary would you most like to read?
Bill Clinton’s.

If you were an inventor, what would you want to invent?
Cold Fusion, so I could end the energy crisis.

Who is your favorite furniture designer?
No idea.

Car?
A blue Cobalt named Spitfire.

What was your childhood nickname?
Birdman. I saw a picture of a basketball game in which somebody stretched out his arms and legs to block another player. I tried that in a second grade game and people thought I was an idiot.

When and where are you happiest?
In uniform with an M16 rifle in my hand.

Who is your best friend?
Best male friend is Petrick. Best female friend is Leanna. If wives don’t count, then Jean.

Who is your worst enemy?
I don’t know that I have one any more. All of them seem to have gotten tired of losing and went away.

What piece of art would you most like to own?
Something very, very expensive so I could sell it.

What is your favorite vacation spot?
Don’t really have one. Somewhere with mountains.

What is your most treasured possession?
I cannot say I have one. It’s all stuff, it’s all replaceable. Even family stuff is just stuff somebody is going to have to give away or sell in a garage sale after I die.

Who is your favorite fictional character?
Horatio Hornblower.

Who are your favorite musicians?
Mason Williams. Neil Diamond.

If you were not a game designer, what would you rather be?
A soldier, or an archaeologist, or a paleontologist.

What current trends would you like to see disappear?
Clicky-base.

Favorite trend of all time?
Hexes and die cut counters.

Worst trend of all time?
Collectible card games.