about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The First Day of Origins, 2009

Steve Cole reports:

Steve Petrick and I got up this morning in Richmond, Indiana and had breakfast with Garth and Celestia Getgen. We spent Tuesday nights in Indianapolis the last ten years, but this year we decided to stay in Richmond which is closer to Columbus. This put us one hour closer to Columbus. The 110-mile drive to Origins was very easy. As usual we filled up the car with gas just before reaching the convention because when Origins closes on Sunday afternoon every gas station on I70 for two hours west of here will be packed.

We checked into the Red Roof Inn, and, as per tradition, had lunch at Charley's Steakery. We met several gamers during lunch. Jean Sexton joined us there. Jean and I went to D240 to see the F&E game, but they had all gone to lunch. Jean, Celestia, and I went down to set up the booth. Steve Petrick and Garth brought the car around and brought in the stuff. Jean and Celestia took over setting up the display and did a better job than I usually do. We all went back up to D240 where the staff and many gamers had assembled.

I spoke privately with Chuck Strong about the two F&E products for this fall; then with Paul Franz about creating new kinds of products on SFBOL and FCOL; then with Mike Curtis about his excellent job as FEAR. I met many other old friends including Mike Filsinger, Dan Knipfer, Dale Fields, Tony Thomas and many others.

At 7pm we had the "singalong" in D243. For the first time in history someone actually sang (Jean Sexton sang "How Much Is That Klingon in the Window"). I spoke to the group about future products and said I was going to be turning more pieces of the projects over to staffers so I could focus on growing the company. We passed out the preorders. I met with the judges briefly. (They are all veterans and we did not have much to go over. They all know their jobs.) I met for a few minutes with the entire F&E contingent to tell them the kind of input I need from them to successfully complete F&E-2010. Steve Petrick was exhausted and had an early wakeup call, so went to bed. I followed a couple of hours later.