about the universe forum commander Shop Now Commanders Circle
Product List FAQs home Links Contact Us

Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Need for Fun

Steve Cole reports:

I have been working long hours for two months to get ready for Origins. This (plus my weight, age, and health) has left me perpetually tired (exhausted, really), cranky, and weak. I cannot walk from the hotel to the booth without sitting down.

Today, I "played" in a live-action RPG called Terrorwerx. This involved a squad of space Marines fighting their way past monsters to find the parts to fix the drop ship.

I got to be the combat engineer who fixed the radio and called for extraction. I shot a few aliens, saved the colonel's life, and dragged the corporate lady out of the line of fire.

I came back from the "game" feeling better than I have in years. Maybe it's the adrenaline or maybe it's some kind of endorphin.

It's not just mental. I feel physically better. I do not feel tired. I do not feel sore. I walked, briskly, from the game back to the booth.

This has been a revelation to me. I must make it a point to do something physically fun every day.